[Gllug] data from an 3590 tape unit.

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 12 18:46:25 UTC 2001

John Hearns wrote:

> Hari at pillai.co.uk wrote:
>
> > HI All
> >
> >     I have data on an IBM 3590 cartridge unit, and required to
> > transfer to a Linux / UNIX Solaris  or a PC based system( once have
> > the data into one of these system I can always move it around).
> >
> >     Does any one know, where I will be able hire or borrow this device
> > to copy the data. Any firms would do this?. Does this 3590 device work
> > sucessfully with the Solaris and Linux.
> >
> >     Does any one on this list have access to this device and willing
> > to let me use this device at a small price or for sale .... all
> > optional and negotiable.
> >
> > Any advise would be much appreciated.
> >

> I used to use 3590 cartridges, for storing physics data.
> They work with IBM mainframes - I think it highly unlikely that you
> could use
> one on a Solaris box - though I as usual am probably barking.

They work on AIX. I happen to have the odd AIX system lying around
(about 110 at last count), and the test TSM server has a 3590 drive.
Although I'm not quite sure I know how to work it outside of TSM myself,
I'm sure my colleague who looks after TSM will.

> So what you probably need is a friendly sysadmin in a big computer centre
> which runs these things, and to have the data pulled off.

Hari, where are you? We are in East London. If you're nearby, email me
off list.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk