[Gllug] web server specs

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Mon Oct 1 09:22:36 UTC 2001

I'm looking into co-located web servers on a fairly low budget.

I've narrowed it down to two possibilities for the co-location (Maibox &
Black Cat)

Next thing is the hardware. It seems 1U rackmounted servers are more
expensive to buy (700+ pounds) but cheaper to hire colocation space for.
Can you get cheap 1U servers or would I be better going for a standard
size box and pay a bit extra for the rackspace?

I could get a "normal" desktop/workstation-type PC for under 500 but
what sort of spec would I need?
I'm thinking of a debian/apache/perl/php/mysql setup for about 10-20
sites, fairly low-volume traffic, perhaps phpnuke.
Business-critical 24-7 uptime is not needed.
What is usually the bottleneck - memory, processor, disk speed, network
speed?
Would a PIII with say 256M RAM and a 20GB HD be the sort of thing? Or
overkill?
With just a CD drive, floppy drive and an ethernet card?

--
Paul Brazier
Cosmos UK

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk