[Gllug] Opinions on Smoothwall and other firewalls

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore.co.uk
Fri Oct 5 10:30:51 UTC 2001

Bruce Richardson wrote:

>On 10/5/01, 10:12:22 AM, Peter Chauncy <Peter.Chauncy at PoplarHarca.co.uk>
>wrote regarding [Gllug] Opinions on Smoothwall and other firewalls:
>
>>I am looking for a firewall to sit between a  2Mbit leased line and a
>>network of about 80 odd PCs.  I just discovered Smoothwall
>>http://www.smoothwall.org from a search on Google and it seems really
>>interesting.  Does anyone have any experience with it, and resultant
>>opinions ?  What are the alternatives ? From my reading of the
>>documentation, smoothwall's big advantage over alternatives is its ease
>>
>of

I would  seriously  advise you to look a little bit further:

Contact Tushar at Turtle Networks. He I'm sure can configure a good firewall
for you, based on BSD.
http://www.turtle.net

Also contact Anthony at Rockstone Linux.
I talked to them at Linux Expo, and their firewalls are very, very
cost effective.
http://www.rockstone.co.uk/

We eventually settled on a product called the Netscreen -
but these and come with Ethernet interfaces.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk