[Gllug] updating red hat

Lee Blackwell lee_blackwell at eur.3com.com
Mon Oct 29 13:27:42 UTC 2001

[snip]
> If someone's using RH and X Windows 4.x could they tell me what Binary I
> need to get from ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.1.0/binaries/ I think
> that this can be found by running the following command below. I want to
> download it while I am at work but am unsure as to what Binary to get.
> sh Xinstall.sh -check
> I found some details on google but was unable to tell how up to date it
> was.
I just d/l'd, installed and used the Xfree RPM's from rpmfind.net

> I am running RH6.1.
This could be significant.. see my next comment ;-)

> I have installed KDE2.2 (very fancy, I was very very impressed)
> qt-2.3.1---->kdelibs----->kdebase. This is as far as I have got because I
> have had a lot of fun with trying to install all the packages from source.

> Is this all I need or are there anything in the other packages that I would
> require, when I read the basic contents they seem to be superfluous to
> requirements.

[Huge snip]

Harry,

I installed RH7.0 on my laptop, and spent a little while getting things
sorted.  When I tried to upgrade to KDE2.2, it became apparent that the
KDE developers had built their RPM's based upon the RH7.1 system.

This meant I had to upgrade a few packages here and there, but then the
problems started.  To upgrade such packages meant breaking others, and
once I started following up each dependency I was up to my ears in RPM's!

However, I did find a mirror of all the "RedHat 7.1 Updates" on
rpmfind.net, and sure enough, I needed pretty much all of them.

Hmm.  An awful lot of downloading later:

[lee_blackwell at bella lee]$ du -hs
installs/RPMS/KDE-2.2_release_with_depends/
195M    installs/RPMS/KDE-2.2_release_with_depends

I was ready to go.  After banging in *all* the RPM's (yes in one go... the
load av went through the roof ;-) everything booted up perfectly.

I was left with what I reckon is now an equivalent to RH7.1 from my
original RH7.0 build.

It's fortunate for me that bandwidth is readily available (new E3 going
into the office this week ;-)

I can be sure that there have been a *lot* of updates since RH6.1 was
released.

If you decide to stick to recompiling everything from source, I reckon
you'll be recompiling almost everything on your box.  Conversely, if you
go for the RPM route as I did, you've got 200Mb's worth of files to get
hold of, probably more in order to progressively upgrade 6.1->7.0->7.1

So, maybe it would be easier and less time consuming to simply rebuild
your box with a new distro CD? Maybe 7.1 (or 7.2) and then just start
again.

I'm going to be doing that myself shortly, as I feel that a new rebuild is
the only way to really clear out all the crap I've collected over the last
18 months or so.

Of course, it may be possible to use the "Upgrade" feature on RedHat CD's
- although I haven't tested this!

I guess it goes without saying you are going to need to back up data files
etc, but I'm willing to bet it will be easier to backup/rebuild or
upgrade/restore than spend hours and hours (days/weeks?) trying to build
everything from source.

Just my opinion !

<awaits flaming from everyone>

Lee