[Gllug] On Linux desktops...

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Wed Oct 17 16:11:50 UTC 2001

> GUIs are tools for power users - they enable people to do
> work more quickly.
> They enable you to work with datasets with more than one
> dimension. They
> allow you to express more powerful relations between objects.

I suppose this depends on the application - obviously some by there very
nature must be graphical - such as drawing/painting/video editing
packages. These are highly interactive.

But a lot of things just need setting off then do their thing
uninterrupted e.g. ppp-dialers or CD players or something. For these the
GUI is just a convenience so you don't have to remember obscure commands
and myriad options.

I spend a lot of my work time writing SQL and I find writing the SQL
direct much more powerful than using some sort of GUI grid. Though when
I first started out this was useful to get me started.
Some of the graphical interfaces used in MS SQL Server like DTS packages
for anyone that's used them are awful and just obscure what's going on
underneath.

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk