[Gllug] ADSL recommendations

William Palfreman william at palfreman.com
Wed Oct 10 12:21:45 UTC 2001

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001 tet at accucard.com wrote:

> It's just occurred to me that it's almost certainly not worth getting a
> PCI-USB card. You could probably pick up an AT pentium motherboard and
> CPU for about the same price (or at least not much more), which would
> hopefully come with USB on board.

I bought a P200 with 64Mb RAM, a 2Gb disk, cdrom, PCI slots and _2
built-in USB ports_ for £80 recently.  Trying to force a 486 to do USB is
bound to cost more, give you endless hassle re memory, and more points of
failure.  The is a proper role for 486s - traditional low-power Linux
things like DNS, running modems, living-room ssh terminals.  The BBC
apparently running the whole of Ceefax from a pair (for redundancy) of 486s
with 10base2 nics running 2.0.39.  Spending good money on making a 486
into something it isn't is missing the point IMO.

Bill.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk