[Gllug] Off Topic Not a Plug

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Wed Oct 3 15:13:27 UTC 2001

tet at accucard.com wrote:

>>errrm http://www.linux.co.uk/flash/
>>

> Pretty mucha textbook example of what Flash should *not* be used for.
> Standard HTML/CSS would have given all the information in a format that's
> accessible to all...

However flash has a nice point and clicky interface for the developers ;-)

> The *really* stupid thing is that the exe is just a self extracting zip
> file, which actually makes the download even bigger. You can extract it
> under Unix, though:
>
> 	unzip VMPRO452.exe

I knew that they could be unzipped following the whole blowup regarding the M$ release of their kerberos stuff (they stuck their licence in the extracting thingy - At least I think it was Kerberos)

It does stop people being able to click and browse (such as the IE
plugins that allow the pdf to become part of the website.

Thanks for the monitor recommendations - I shall have a thorough look.
I was exceedingly disappointed by the Mitsubishi monitor I bought.

This is the response I got from my complaint to Iiyama.

Please be advised that we do not wish to make it difficult to obtain data sheets on our products, we have not received any such complaint before regarding the .exe files.

Please let me know which products you are interested in and I will forward them on accordingly as pdf or text files - whichever you would prefer.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Kind regards

Kerry Lee

Marketing Supervisor
iiyama (UK) Ltd

Tel: 01438 745482
Fax: 01438 846186

http://www.iiyama.co.uk
DISCLAIMER: This e-mail contains proprietary information some or all of which may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this e-mail.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk