[Gllug] scp whole drive with out copying /proc/kcore?

Steve Nicholson steve.nicholson at yoursolutions.com
Wed Oct 31 00:36:38 UTC 2001

How do I do a copy of a drive with out copying /proc/kcore? After having
a few problems, finding bit's of backups missing and having to rebuild a
server I did a scp of the whole system back to my box here at home.
It's only 300Mb, but since the /proc directory is copied as well it
takes for ever (960Mb for kcore) and I will just have to delete it.
Maybe it's not copying /proc, I notice it is coping "core" which is
/dev/core symlinked to /proc/kcore rather than /proc.  I realised after
I started the copy I should have done a "cp -a" on the server the
gzipped it first but I thought hey only 300Mb wont take that long.

So is there a correct way I should have gone about this?  Is there a way
to copy (cp) and not copy certain directories or files?  I had a look in
"man cp" but couldn't see anything.  Although thinking about it I don't
want to follow symlinks, just copy the links themselves.  Can this be
done with scp?

I also notice if I do a grep using "mc" to find a file containing text
on the whole system "/" it goes through "core" then as well.  Is there
away to prevent this?

thanks
Steve.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk