[Gllug] Just wondering (Red Hat 7.2)

John Edwards john_ed at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Thu Oct 18 11:22:05 UTC 2001

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 12:28:11PM +0200, Xander D Harkness wrote:
> The redhat.com site is verrrry slow today and the redhat network is
> having problems.
>
> I was wondering if this was indicative of some heavy sucking of
> bandwidth by various mirrors getting copies of 7.2 which I understand is
> due to be released.
>
> I hope it is this and not problems in general which would be sad.  I
> thought that for this launch there were making boxed copies available at
> the same time rather than later as happened for 7.1
>
> Anyone with any other knowledge?
>
> Have fun
> Xander

The mirrors have a 7.2 directory in ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/
chmod 700 and dated Oct 5 (two days after the last change to rawhide),
which is similar to the way 7.1 was rolled out. The last release took a
few weeks after the directory appeared to the full release, so I would
hazard a wild guess at a release date around the start of November.

If anyone works for a redhat mirror and has superuser access they could
have a little peek in the directory and see if there is an iso image in
there yet (unless there are NDA in effect). Last time the powertools iso
was the first to be finished by about a month.

On the connection problems to www.redhat.com it is is only sending part
of a page and then closing the connection. As the ftp server is working
(and quiet) I don't think it's the mirrors causing this.

--
|    John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com                          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk