[Gllug] StarOffice

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Tue Oct 23 16:10:32 UTC 2001

>In my attempts to get away from MS I have downloaded StarOffice 5.2 and I am
>now wondering how to install it.

Don't bother. It's not worth the effort. Either use the 6.0 beta, or
wait until 6.0 proper is released.

>I can also find no reference in the documentation as to what a BIN
>File is and how to unpack this if that is what I have to do. The bin
>appended to the end of the name would indicate some sort of self
>executing file but I find that hard to believe in a Linux box.

Yep, it's a self extracting executable. Appending .bin to the filename
is a workaround for buggy browsers that try to guess the file type from
the extension, and do something clever with it (downloading it in ASCII
mode is always a humourous one).

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk