[Gllug] ADSL recommendations

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Wed Oct 10 15:06:49 UTC 2001

>First question - Is there anything about this plan that seems inherently
>impossible (like BT have found a way to prevent a NAT firewall - God only
>knows how)?

No. Looks good, although I'd use OpenBSD rather than smoothwall, for the
reasons I've outlined before.

>Second question - Like most 486s this one is pre-PCI; I'm going to try to
>get a 486/PCI motherboard at the Queensway market next weekend (out of
>London this weekend) and add a PCI-USB card. Does this seem silly? Is anyone
>aware of an ISA-USB card? Where else can I look for antique hardware
>(486/PCI boards were never very common)?

I was just about to ask why you'd want USB on a router/firewall, before
it occurred to me that you've probably got the USB ADSL option...

>IMHO this all looks ok. The 486 should be sufficient for the mediocre job
>I'm asking of it (fairly basic NAT firewall) and even an ISA bus should be
>able to handle the modest throughput of an ADSL link.

I use a P75 for mine, which can easily handle ADSL traffic. I doubt your
486 will have any problems, either. The only thing that's noticably slow
for me is when initiating an SSH connection from the outside world (only
during initialisation -- once the session's established, I don't notice
any slowdown). But with USB ADSL, I don't think that's even an option
for you, as you'll have neither a static IP range or a DNS entry.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk