[Gllug] Opinions on Smoothwall and other firewalls

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Fri Oct 5 14:42:04 UTC 2001

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 11:05:01AM +0100, Jackson, Harry wrote:
> [...]

More like him and a couple of smoothwall developers, and the
original founder of the LUG decided that the entire LUG should be
based around the promotion of smoothwall and other Morrell-inspired
projects, and when most people disagreed they decided to shut the
whole thing down!

Understandably, the couple hundred other people on that mailing list
who didn't particularly care about all that and just wanted
somewhere to chat were a bit perturbed by the fact that the LUG had
just been disbanded from under them.

An emergency meeting took place of those who still wanted to have a
LUG, and they decided to carry on with the mailing list and the web
page.  So then RM started making noises about taking them to court
over the use of the name "Hants LUG" (!) because now he had got the
founder to disband it, they weren't it, apparently.

All the while the list was being flooded with personal attacks going
both ways, people being phoned and harassed, it was all very
upsetting.  Eventually he was forcibly unsubscribed and things got
back to normal.  But as I say he does drop by occasionally to hurl
abuse.

I do not believe there is too much enmity though, and if there is it
is mostly coming back from RM's direction.  Many people on that list
do use smoothwall and can see that it is a technically fine product.

--
<kenickie> many a porn site is on angelfire
<amber> yeah mines on angelfire

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk