[Gllug] Comparison

Andrew Richardson ahrichardson at clara.net
Mon Oct 29 18:14:27 UTC 2001

On Monday 29 October 2001 11:18, you wrote:
> On Saturday, 27 Oct 2001, Andrew Richardson wrote:
> >Linux User magazine has an article this month about a company using Linux
> > on IBM mainframe.  Cost wise , I recall it estimating that benefits were
> > to be had if you run more that 20 or so machines.
>
> That's got to be too low. 20 nice machines (but headless, with crappy
> graphics cards) will set you back L20,000; but S/390s start at about
> half a million, before you touch ongoing maintenance fees. I suspect
> your L480,000 change will pay someone to look after 20 beige boxes.

UR right.  My figures were way off the mark.
The article was about Telia Net who run 1500 virtual suse sessions on a z
series s390 with 12 processors.
The quote from the article actually reads:
"Even at the 25-30% physical server point it starts to make sense to
virtualise on the mainframe, but the moment you start to talk about 100
servers or more then the savings become substantial"

Apologies

Andrew

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk