[Gllug] Build adapter firmware with kernel build?

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 00:05:50 UTC 2001

William Palfreman wrote:

> With more recent 2.4 kernels you have this option with the new Adaptec
> AIC7xxx driver:
>
> "Build adapter firmware with kernel build" (y/n)
>
> It sounds like it plans to provide me with a file to flash my el-cheapo
> Adaptec with.  Is anyone any clearer about what this option is on about?

The adaptec driver uploads firmware to the card when it is initialised.
This is not the same as flashing the BIOS on the card....

The driver included in the kernel has, IIRR, a binary file which
contains the firmware for that driver revision. The sources for this
file are included, but it is normally not rebuilt when you rebuild the
kernel, unless the ablove option is checked. If you do check the option,
your kernel build is likely to fail unless you have the requisite
development tools necessary to build the firmware installed, and ISTR
they're not standard with most distros. There was a thread about this on
LKML a while ago...

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk