[Gllug] updating red hat

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Mon Oct 29 15:36:12 UTC 2001

>I suppose its a bit like putting open cast mining tyres on a mini. It's not
>broken but for all intents and purposes it might as well be the tyres are
>just not the ones that should have been released with that mini, or maybe
>the mini should not have been released with those tyres.

Actually, none of that is true. The reasons for shipping with the
version of gcc they did were (and indeed, still are) entirely valid.
The only real mistake they made was in calling it 2.96, when it should
probably have been called 2.95-RH or similar. And from what I've heard,
that was mostly caused by a miscommunication among the people involved.

Given how many RH staff are responsible for maintaining gcc, I'd say
they're pretty justified in choosing to use a particular version...

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk