[Gllug] CAD software for Linux

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Tue Oct 30 17:38:16 UTC 2001

Dan Kolb wrote:

> www.qcad.org

Cool I shall have a nosey.

> I know the author, even though I've never used the software :-)
>
> Or what about a Windows CAD program under WINE?
>
> Dan
> - --

The difficulty I have with windows programs under wine is similar to the
IE / Opera battle.  If I change my settings to arrive as IE/M$ to access
a site web designers think that everyone uses IE and will carry on
writing IE only sites.  I do not want to continue supporting companies
and applications that write windows only.  I would much rather encourage
those who write for alternative platforms.

In addition I am seeking to move someone from AutoCAD, I am not sure
that such a substantial program (200Mb install) would be as reliable as
I would like under wine.

Cheers
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk