[Gllug] Statistical analysis

Chris Ball chris at void.printf.net
Mon Oct 8 17:53:40 UTC 2001

On Mon, 2001-10-08 at 17:59, root wrote:
> I thought I would ask the generally mathematically inclined inhabitants
> of the list what Stats packages they used on Linux and which they would
> recommend.

I was a Psychology student before a CS student, and we used 'R' (a GNU
port of 'S'); it's a very powerful statistics language.  If she's
looking for a language for simple inferential tests as I was, the
Statistics::ChiSquared perl module is really nice to use; but that's
from the perspective of a perl coder, which she probably isn't.  ;)

She might also be one of the few people in the world to get something
out of Statistics::Nonparametric, which is a perl module I've written to
perform Wilcoxon/Mann-Whitney/Sign tests but not yet uploaded to the
CPAN.

I don't really know what to recommend.  There's a Javascript version of
R (possibly called Rweb?) available on the web, and I've used that a few
times.  Other than that, I guess there's SPSS under Wine.. :/

Any idea what sort of stats work it is?  I'm happy to help out off-list
if you can get more info..

~C.

--
$a="printf.net"; Chris Ball | chris at void.$a | www.$a | finger: chris@$a
         "In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk