[Gllug] NTL wireless broadband

gllug at codex.net gllug at codex.net
Sat Oct 6 11:24:26 UTC 2001

On Sat, 6 Oct 2001, Jake Jellinek wrote:

> > On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Jake Jellinek wrote:
> >
> >> "If you are in the following
> >> post code areas, you are serviceable now:
> >> W10, W11, W12, W9, W14, W6, W4, SW6, SW13, SW15, SW14, TW9, TW1, TW7 W6,
> >> W14, W8, SW5, SW7, SW3, SW1, SW10, SW6. SW11, SW8, SW4, SW9, SW2, SW12"
> >
> > hmm, i am.  an they told me they didnt have coverage in my area.
>
> Yeah, I think they were saying, if you've already been told you can get it
> and live in one of these areas, you should already be servicable. *shrug*.

maybe you should get involved with the consume people then?

> Are you saying that they are going to need to install a large TV-style
> antennae on the house to pick this stuff up? They seem very loathe to
> provide any details at all, they could at least send something in the post
> to us "trialists".

i have no idea what there plans are, but i'd imagine it requires some kind
of receiver.  I've given up on NTL ever providing me with a broadband
solution.  time and time again, the ex C&W customers get the really naff
deal.  since BTO are offering me free ADSL installation, i'm going for
that instead.  Should allow me to offer a reasonable consume node.

> I don't actually need the service anyway of course, I have all the
> connectivity I need, but I'm curious to see how well it's all going to
> work, and I enjoy going from a frustrated modem user without any viable low
> cost broadband options, to now having the option of cheaper ADSL,cheap
> Cable modem or now this wireless. For us SW Londoners, things are starting
> to look a little better these days!

how far into SW london are you exactly?

--

PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc