[Gllug] Fight! Fight! Fight!

Adam Bower abower at thebowery.co.uk
Thu Oct 11 15:25:32 UTC 2001

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 tet at accucard.com wrote:

> >http://www.cw360.com/article&rd=&i=&ard=106646&fv=1
> >
> >See page 33 of Computer Weekly,
> >or go to http://www.cw360.com and search for Linux Bigots
>
> Actually, for the most part, he's right. It's not that Linux doesn't
> have the *potential* to make it big on the desktop. Obviously, we all
> know that it does. But it doesn't (yet) have the applications. Even
> the much improved Star Office 6 still has a long way to go.

True, is Staroffice 6 less prone to crashing though? also I have given
computers to non-techies before running a gnome-desktop with Staroffice
and linux and they never had any problems using the machine. The only
problem they actually had was of course sharing M$ office files with other
people in the company.

> In terms of usability, we can easily match, and far surpass Windows
> for manipulating windows on screen, starting applications, and the like.
> What we can't do, though, is provide the consistent user interface to
> configuring the box. Not that Windows is consistent with itself, but it's
> close enough that most users can get by.

I wouldn't describe windows as having a consistent user interface, M$ move
things between different versions of windows and I thought the USP of
Windows XP is the new themeable desktop.

I have never seen any problem giving Linux desktops to anyone, the main
problem is (as ever) M$ office file format compatability.

--
Adam

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk