[Gllug] FreeBSD

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 30 23:15:05 UTC 2001

SteveC wrote:

> I got a new box at work last week (ok, it was a P1-233) and decided to try
> something new so I slapped FreeBSD (4.4) on it. I found the installer
> better than any Linux install I have ever done. Largly due to well
> supported hardware and the X4 graphical config I grant you.

I tend to agree, although the choice of software isn't so great (the
Linux compatibility sees to most of that). One thing which is putting me
off BSD is the lack of support for compression in isdn4bsd.

The ports collection is excellent. I have KDE2 with Konq and Java
working in FreeBSD 4.3 - it took 6 hours, but almost zero effort, it
just did it. Slowly. (P200 in my case). I had to download Java from Sun,
but it gave me the URL. It was just a matter of clicking on a couple of
"agree" buttons and waiting while the P200 compiled it all.

Should we rename this group to "Greater London Unix-Like Operating
Systems User Group (GLULOSUG)?

Seriously though, I think the *BSD and Linux movements are sufficiently
similar that we should consider *BSD to be on topic on the GLLUG ML, as
seems to be the case anyway. I hope others agree with this.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk