[Gllug] Comparison

Richard Hillesley richard at linuxuser.co.uk
Tue Oct 23 12:21:52 UTC 2001

> Does anyone have a link that compares cost of rackmounted linux to linux on
> an IBM mainframe?

The true cost savings depend on the volume of work, and the number of servers
the mainframe would be replacing, but can be immense. Telia are the best
known but not the only implemetation. The New York Stock Exchange runs Linux
on the mainframe (replaced Sun). There are at least four UK sites that are
non-academic, ie serious business implementations. IBM (and Telia), claim
they include big savings on running costs, support, maintenance, space and
power.  Telia claims 90% savings. They are running 2000 odd virtual servers.
If you are seriously looking into it, contact me off list, and I can put you
onto a Linux person inside IBM who can give you real figures.

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk