[Gllug] "We Linux users have been doing all that for 10 years."

David Irvine co2cool at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 1 19:29:00 UTC 2001

Christian Smith wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
>
>>I used to work at a place where they'd locked down all the machines.
>>You couldn't even change the time!  Of course they weren't running NTP
>>or anything useful like that so the clocks were up to 20 minutes out.
>>Made using Outlook/Exchange to schedule meetings absolutely useless
>>because some people would turn up 10 minutes early, some 10 minutes
>>late.
>>

>My old Uni had a lab of WinNT machines, which they locked down so hard
>that you couldn't even make the task bar auto hideable! Except you could
>still change the screen resolution and refresh, and thus destroy the
>monitors if you so wished!
>
>Christian

The labs  at my uni where like that, they were so useless, the screen
res was appauling and you couldnt do anything remotely useful with them,
and  that included code since the only editor you could use was notepad
(or a glorified version of it. (Notepad with search and replace)) or an
old turbo c++ ide thing which you could get access to if you could fool
 the browser intor opening a command window, (Dos edit wasnt allowed
either) and if you could  be bothered  you could dl  and  run vi
 however you had to  go  around  renaming  it  because if anything
remotely useful was found in your  home dirs you got executed by  the
head of the course.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk