[Gllug] data from an 3590 tape unit.

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore.co.uk
Fri Oct 12 09:32:05 UTC 2001

Hari at pillai.co.uk wrote:

> HI All
>
>     I have data on an IBM 3590 cartridge unit, and required to
> transfer to a Linux / UNIX Solaris  or a PC based system( once have
> the data into one of these system I can always move it around).
>
>     Does any one know, where I will be able hire or borrow this device
> to copy the data. Any firms would do this?. Does this 3590 device work
> sucessfully with the Solaris and Linux.
>
>     Does any one on this list have access to this device and willing
> to let me use this device at a small price or for sale .... all
> optional and negotiable.
>
> Any advise would be much appreciated.

I used to use 3590 cartridges, for storing physics data.
They work with IBM mainframes - I think it highly unlikely that you
could use
one on a Solaris box - though I as usual am probably barking.

So what you probably need is a friendly sysadmin in a big computer centre
which runs these things, and to have the data pulled off.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk