[Gllug] Escrows - Hypothetical GPL questions

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 20:54:01 UTC 2001

 On Mon, 8 Oct 2001 17:10:47 +0100
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net> wrote:-
>"In fact, you'll find that many companies when they do base their
>business on a particular piece of software insist that the source be
>placed in escrow for the possibility that the vendor goes broke."

I would like to know what actually happens in such cases. e.g. how long
does it normally take for the source code to be released after the software
provider goes bankrupt? What are the rights of the company(s) who
receive the source code - can they modify it for their own use, or are
they restricted in any way? Could they release it as GPL, or could they
develop it commercially? Does it depend on the terms of the source code
escrow itself, or perhaps the lawyers' abilities?

--
Regards from Mark Preston

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk