[Gllug] say No to Flash. was -> EZ-Jackster

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Oct 24 10:33:42 UTC 2001

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 08:43:17AM +0100, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> The disabilities argument ties in well with the common standard one.
> With a common standard, people with disabilities are able to work with
> what you make.  Equally people with other op[erating systems can see
> what you do.  Why bother creating something proprietary which will
> alienate some (perhaps only a small part, but significant) of your
> audience when it's just as easy to use the standards?  It's not like
> Flash is cheap to make!

Your mistake is to use logic, which doesn't work with the 'IE is god'
crowd.  Our website used to be the responsibility of our librarian.  He
once came back from a meeting with fellow librarians and announced that
we would thenceforth use only Frontpage to create web pages and only IE
to browse the web (the Wizard of Oz approach).  When I pointed out that
pretending there was no such thing as Netscape didn't make it so, he
just stared.  Thankfully he never got his way, but this was only because
he was an obnoxious little shit and nobody could bear to listen to him
about anything.

--
Bruce

Those who cast the votes decide nothing.  Those who count the
votes decide everything. -- Joseph Stalin