[Gllug] On Linux desktops...

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Oct 17 16:20:13 UTC 2001

On 10/17/01, 3:26:13 PM, "Richard Cottrill" <richard_c at tpg.com.au> wrote
regarding RE: [Gllug] On Linux desktops...:

> I could go on but I'll spare you more. The point is that emacs is
actually a
> great example of a bad interface, and the fact that it is the oldest
> GNU/free software and it still has such an appalling interface only
serves
> to prove Nielsen's point.

I'm not sure that it's even relevant.  If Neilsen meant that UNIX can't
be made usable in the same way Windows is usable, then he was talking
crap: you can today have a GUI interface every bit as pointy and clicky
and configure almost every aspect of your system.  If he meant that it is
difficult to make UNIX's uniquely powerful features accessible to the
non-geek then he has a point but not the earth-shattering one some people
seem to think.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk