[Gllug] Opinions on Smoothwall and other firewalls

Kieran Barry kieran at esperi.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 5 20:14:37 UTC 2001

On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, John Edwards wrote:

> > > That is the way to go OpenBSD, I like that :)
> >
> > There's one advantage that I can see with the *BSD ipfilter tools over
> > iptables: it's older, and therefore has had more testing.
>
> Wasn't the license on ipfilter changed to prevent ditribution of modified
> source code a few months ago ? I seem to recall that it put a spanner in
> the works for OpenBSD (who modified the code without the permission of the
> author). OpenBSD 2.9 was distibuted before the change and contains the
> modified ipfilter code.

No, the licence to ipfilter had always had one of the BSD licence
clauses missing. Apparently, Darren Read and Theo "had words". Darren
was getting people looking for support for changes which OpenBSD had
made but were not part of the ipf source tree.

The result was that all three BSD had a problem. FreeBSD and NetBSD
negociated with Darren. Theo deleted the CVS module.

The next release was under a standard BSD licence. (Darren felt that to
re-licence previous versions would be to admit he had done wrong.)

regards

Kieran

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk