NTP (was Re: [Gllug] whoah)

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Wed Oct 31 12:07:56 UTC 2001

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 11:56:26AM +0000, Alain Williams wrote:

> Big caveat: if the time is wrong by > 20 minutes it assumes that something is
> horribly wrong and so doesn't do anything. So get it about right by hand and use
> ntpd to keep it right.

One can make this a little less painful by using ntpdate first, or at
least the Red Hat ntp config has the concept of step-tickers which
are servers that ntpdate will be used on every time ntpd is
restarted.

Or I believe there is a flag for ntpd (-g?) to tell it that it
should always set the clock no matter how badly wrong it is, but you
should be careful anyway as if the clock is too fast by a large
amount then it will set it backwards and things might get a bit
confused.