[Gllug] Off Topic Not a Plug

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Wed Oct 3 14:47:00 UTC 2001

>errrm http://www.linux.co.uk/flash/

Pretty mucha textbook example of what Flash should *not* be used for.
Standard HTML/CSS would have given all the information in a format that's
accessible to all...

>I then went to download some specs of the monitors, Oh good, a pdf (the
>latest Mozilla build auto launches xpdf which I think is a good default
>setting).  Well I was outraged to see that the had broken the
>portability of the PDFs by sticking them in a .exe!

The *really* stupid thing is that the exe is just a self extracting zip
file, which actually makes the download even bigger. You can extract it
under Unix, though:

	unzip VMPRO452.exe

>I will now be searching the Gllug archives as I remember there being a
>discussion on monitors and which people recommend.
>
>I shall not be buying an Iiyama.

Even if their web site hadn't turned to crap, I wouldn't be buying one
on technical grounds. The newer models are (IMHO) noticably lower quality
than the older ones. I'd recommend an LG 915FT. Or if you can afford it,
an Eizo Flexscan T761. Currently sitting in front of one at 1920x1440.
Most monitors have good enough vertical/horizontal sync rates, but it's
bandwidth that's king (sometimes listed as dot clock). Bandwidth is what
controls whether you'll be able to run a given resolution at a decent
refresh rate.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk