[Gllug] ulimits

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 8 21:56:41 UTC 2001

On Sun, 2 Sep 2001, Alex Hudson stated:
> It won't get implemented. Not 'complexity' as in 'too hard for hackers to be
> bothered', but 'complexity' as in 'would bloat the schedula so much that
> task switching would be so expensive it would require a mortgage'.

And note that patches to the scheduler have been turned down because of
a single extra conditional branch in the common case.

The scheduler is *heavily* optimized code, because it's such a hot path;
this box here is executing 1,200 context switches per second (thank you
X) and GNOME has sometimes pushed it above 15,000; each of those will
hit schedule().

--
`It's all about bossing computers around. Users have to say "please".
Programmers get to say "do what I want NOW or the hard disk gets it".'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk