[Gllug] DHCP weirdness

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Fri Sep 21 09:54:44 UTC 2001

I'm trying to get a sane OS installed here at work on my Win2k (ugh)
machine.  I'm running under a beta of VMWare (beta 3 build 1364)
running Debian.  My /etc/network/interfaces has the usual:
iface eth0 inet dhcp

However it never manages to get a lease.  The servers are, of course,
NT/Win2k but surely MS haven't embraced and exploded DHCP?

I've done the usual test.  Last night when most people had left I
picked an IP at random from the range and it worked just fine and
dandy.  However I don't want to stomp on someone's work and raise the
ire of the sysadmins.  They're cool guys and don't have a problem with
me running Linux but I imagine that could change if I steal someone's
IP :)  They claim their DHCP servers aren't tied to MAC address or
anything so I don't see what the problem is.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk