[Gllug] Mount problems

home at alexhudson.com home at alexhudson.com
Sat Sep 8 13:29:18 UTC 2001

On Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 01:51:21PM +0100, Dylan wrote:
> A) During boot, I get a message telling me that mounting sda has failed,
> although the drive and contents (/usr) are present and operational in the
> filesystem - should I be worried about this?

Not necessarily. I would be surprised if your system does mount /dev/sda
though.

> What sort of thing may cause this?

Weird initrds and/or a shagged fstab spring to mind. I bet fstab.

> B) The DVD appears in the filesystem under /cdrom, and  /dvd is empty. If I
> try re-mounting (by hand or with mount -a) I am told the DVD is empty/not
> present/busy. The relevant lines in fstab say:
>
> /dev/cdrom, /cdrom, auto, ro,auto,user,exec 0 0
> /dev/dvd, /dvd, auto, ro,autouser,exec 0 0

They're buggered for a start.

Just put in somthing like:
/dev/dvd	/dvd	auto	ro,noauto,user,exec	 0 0

Then, ls -l /dev/dvd to check it's pointing at the correct device (should be
/dev/hdc1?). You may even want to go as far as to check the major-minors on
/dev/hdc*, they should be 5 and 0 going up, if memory serves.

> At some point I will want to add a SCSI CDrom to the box, and obviously I
> want to mount that on /cdrom and the dvd on /dvd.  Any suggestions as to what
> changes to files I need to make in order to accomplish this?

Just link /dev/cdrom to the SCSI device (ie., sdb-whatever). Make a copy of
the line in fstab, make the appropriate changes. Should work.

Cheers,

Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk