[Gllug] New kernel compile probs

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Tue Sep 4 15:48:43 UTC 2001

On Tuesday, 4 Sep 2001, will wrote:
>> Hee. Someone forgot to run /sbin/lilo after editing /etc/lilo.conf? :)
>Sorry, I forgot to put that.  I ran /sbin/lilo the first time I made the
>lilo.conf changes, but then I was just replacing the bzImage kernel and
>System.map with the newly compiled ones later so I didn't re-run lilo the
>next time I used a new kernel.

Re-run lilo. Re-running lilo does no harm, so you should do it after
any change; but in this case it will always be necessary.

Boot from your old kernel and re-run lilo.

[You didn't save the working old kernel? Write that up as a valuable
object lesson and go grab a copy of Tom's Rescue Disc; boot from that,
mount your hard disc partitions beneath /mnt, and 'chroot /mnt
/sbin/lilo'. More generally, 'chroot /mnt /bin/bash' is a valuable
tool in this sort of situation. The idiots at Red Hat crippled their
binaries (or libc?) only to work with a 2.2 kernel or later, but Tom's
now reports the kernel version as 100.x to fool it.]

<http://www.toms.net/rb/>, FWIW.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk