[Gllug] Unix sysadmin vacancies

pjotr at pckassa.com pjotr at pckassa.com
Tue Sep 18 15:02:12 UTC 2001

Hi Gllug'ers,

I have a question. Are there any British Unix System Administrators?
Over the last weeks I have posted a really cool job description for a
Unix system administrator building on Linux/Solaris systems with
CFengine and lots of other open source tools in a nice and creative
environment for a solid company, both to mailing lists as well as
monster.co.uk.

The only callers are agencies and foreigners (not that I have anything
against them, we employ a lot of expats and I am one too). Only one
Brit applied so far!! That can't be right.

What is wrong? Is it the location (High Wycombe)? No, can't be, it is
brilliant living here, cheaper and close enough to London (I was at
Telehouse today). Don't sysadmins like Linux, or don't they like Open
Source? Or are there no British system administrators, and the ones
that are there work for the banks? Salary? That is open, we need
quality first.

I really don't understand it.

Pj.

P.S. If you want to enlight me in public come to my talk on deploying
ROCK Linux this Saturday (plug for gllug).

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk