[Gllug] New kernel compile probs

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Sun Sep 9 00:06:42 UTC 2001

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, David Damerell uttered the following:
>                                 The idiots at Red Hat crippled their
> binaries (or libc?) only to work with a 2.2 kernel or later, but Tom's

libc. It's mildly silly, but it *does* lead to a 5%-or-so libc speedup.

> now reports the kernel version as 100.x to fool it.]

If the kernel version isn't really >=2.2, that is very stupid and *will*
break, hard, the first time anything in the libc is used that varies
between 2.0.x and 2.2.x. There's a reason libc screams if you're running
a too-old kernel; it's not there for annoyance value.

--
`It's all about bossing computers around. Users have to say "please".
Programmers get to say "do what I want NOW or the hard disk gets it".'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk