[Gllug] CD Writers under linux

John Edwards john_ed at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Mon Sep 17 16:20:30 UTC 2001

On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 02:48:38PM -0400, ChrisJS at aol.com wrote:
> Hi all,
> Apologies if this has been covered before, I'm so dopey that I wouldn't
> remember if I had asked the same question myself a month ago...
> Anyway, my query is this : Does anybody use an external CD-RW drive under
> linux ? I'm in the market for one but it must be external so obviously I'm
> wondering whether linux's USB capabilities are up to it. I'm not by any means
> a linux expert so I'm also interested to know how difficult it is to set up.
> Windows software/support is essential.
> Any suggestions ?
> Cheers,

SCSI is a much safer way to go, no matter what the Operating System.
For good CD writers the price difference is only about 20 pounds and
you can get an Adaptec 2904 host adapter card for about 25+VAT which
only does 5Mbits/s but it fast enough for current writers. 50 pounds
spent here will get ride of many hours of headaches in the future.

But if you want a USB CD writer then look at issue 5 (Feb 2001) of
the Linux Magazine. They did a review of USB storage devices including
the IOmega Zip CD 650 (worked well) and the Mitsumi CR 4804 TU and
Freecom Traveller (both of which gave trouble).

--
|    John Edwards, Email: John.Edwards at cornerstonelinux.co.uk    |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk