[Gllug] Reading M$ files

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Mon Sep 17 19:11:46 UTC 2001

In message <20010917195837.A9390 at cornerstonelinux.co.uk>
          John Edwards <john_ed at cornerstonelinux.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 07:26:23PM +0100, Rich Walker wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We've been handed a Microsoft Works 2000 file, extension .wdb
>
> I thought that Word 2000 still used the same .doc extension and
> file format as Word 97.

Works, not word. Some wierd format.

> ".wdb" is not listed as a recognised file extension on my NT4
> virtual machine with Office 2000.

Okay, so it's probably incompatible with their other stuff.

> > Nothing (abiword, StarOffice, ...) seems to want to read it.
> >
> > Anyone got any ideas?
> >
> > cheers,Rich.
>
> Try "string FILENAME | less" to look at the ASCII dump and search for
> some thing like (Word.Document.8), indicating Word v8 (aka Word 97).

First two lines of strings:

Microsoft Works
MSWorksDBDoc

> If you can't figure it out you could always return to sender and ask
> for something in English (or ASCII).

Yeah, but that'll take a few weeks, and we could do with the data
before that... f'ing markting ppl...

cheers,Rich.

--
Rich Walker: rw at shadow.org.uk (Shadow Robot Project)