[Gllug] Encription advice appreciated.

Timothy Coggins tc at sonicated.com
Thu Sep 27 21:02:45 UTC 2001

On Wed, 2001-09-26 at 11:15, David Damerell wrote:

> >An easier way would be to use a swap file rather than a partition and
> >either have that file encrypted
>
> How would you achieve that?

I can't remember from the top of my head. I have seen the Red Hat
installer do it on a upgrade to 7.1.

> >or use secure rm to wipe it before shutdown.
>
> Not much good when the police kick your door down.

It would be much easier for them to ask me to show them what I have
encrypted, which I would as I have nothing incriminating to hide.

Actually, we could do with a new front door.. :)

Perhaps the easiest way is just to fill your box up with ram so swap is
not needed. I have 256Mb of ram and swap is only really needed when I
run vmware. 256Mb is only 40 quid from dabs.com.

--
Timothy Coggins <tc at sonicated.com>
http://www.sonicated.com/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk