[Gllug] StarOffice looks too much like Windows!!!

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Tue Sep 4 08:03:09 UTC 2001

>No, SO 6.0 isn't in beta yet, but you could try OpenOffice.  I really should
>try it at some point...

It's pretty good. No more hideous desktop-in-a-window. Just a simple
standalone app, the way God intended it (yes, I use vi, not emacs :-)

Like StarOffice, it fails to detect the presence of a Java runtime on
my system (even though I have one), and the installer complains that a
file is missing. It has a few stability issues, but overall, it looks
promising for the future. It already reads Word documents better than
Applix, for example (which is all I really need it for -- I write my
own stuff in -ms macros or TeX, but people keep emailing me pesky docs
in Word format).

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk