[Gllug] New kernel compile probs

Paul Sheer psheer at icon.co.za
Tue Sep 4 15:48:48 UTC 2001

did you remember to re-run lilo?
also check your lilo.conf file

remember that if the size of the kernel
image changed at all, or the new kernel
image did not copy over the eact same
sectors as the previous, then lilo's
sector map won't match, hence the
break in the middle of the kernel load.

best

-paul

On 2001.09.04 16:58 will wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wonder if you can help me.  I have compiled anew kernel (2.4.7) and it
> is
> not quite working...  I did:
>
> #make xconfig
> (fiddle aroung with configuration)
> #make dep
> #make clean
> #make bzImage
> #make modules
> #make modules_install
>
> then copy bzImage and System.map to the /boot directory.  I kept the old
> kernel file and System.map and can still boot of those.  When I re-boot
> the
> computer I cheeose the new kernal boot option that I created in lilo and
> it
> gets to:
>
> boot:
>
> then the cursor just goes to the next line and blinks there and it does
> nothing.  I then have to reset the machine and select the option to boot
> with the old kernel (2.2.15-4mdk).  I have tried numerous configurations
> at
> the point when I do make xconfig (I am on compile number 6 or something)
> but
> I have been unable to get it working.  Any suggestions as to what might
> be
> causing this?
>
> Thanks
> Will.
>

> --

Paul Sheer Consulting IT Services . . . Tel . . . +27 21 761 7224
Email . . . psheer at icon.co.za . . . . . . Pager . . . 088 0057266
Linux development, cryptography,  recuitment,  support,  training
http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer . . . . http://rute.sourceforge.net
L I N U X . . . . . . . . . . . .  The Choice of a GNU Generation

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk