[Gllug] ulimits

Ian Norton bredroll at dsh.org.uk
Sun Sep 2 15:32:50 UTC 2001

On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 03:18:57PM +0100, Jon Masters wrote:

> > And this is a problem how? I presume you know how nice works.
>
> I suppose it must be ``beyond my abilities'' to understand that too huh?
> :)

I am quite sure you have zero knowledge of jcms coding ability. and inferring
that it was beyond the ability of an under grad, wasnt our good friend linus an
undergrad once? please do not make such sweeping and offensive generalisations
about people!

> > If users are run low priority, then the machine is still able to do its work.
>
> Now you're heading away from the original point - of course it can
> ``still do its work'' however setting priority limits alone do not a
> good system make IMO.

priority and fork limits yes, useful for keeping a machine used by many for
critical operations under control.

> > Linux is not a research OS.

would you have us use minix instead?

> The real answer is that people will use whatever they want to, not what
> is dictated as being the superior. Perhaps I have good reason to stick
> with the Linux kernel (which since you wish to be a pedant I would do
> the standard thing of pointing out is *not* an "Operating System" in the
> first place).
>
> > Find me a paper researching OS principles on Linux
>
> > and I'll show you twenty on Mach.
>
> Fine, go use it then if you want to. I have not imposed any restrictions
> on your choice however you seem to wish to convince me that mine are all
> wrong.
>
> I shall continue this discussion off list.

remind me to read messages before hitting reply ;-)

bredroll

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk