[Gllug] Nightmare

Gordon Joly gordon.joly at pobox.com
Sun Sep 9 09:01:00 UTC 2001

At 23:03 +0100 2001-09-08, Matthew Bunter wrote:

>[1] Wife wants Word and Outlook Express to job search so must keep
>the shyster's products for the time being[2].
>[2] Training wives in the use of Linux is hard.

It can be hard to train a spouse. The inertia of Microsoft products
plus the ubiquity in the work place adds to this. If your wife were a
designer, they would probably be in LOVE with their Mac. With
Microsoft, they probably have a love hat relationship at best. At
worst, their understading of what is possible is clouded by about 8
years of Word/Excel/Access and Windows (the user interface). With a
Mac, they have seen the light. Claris (AppleWorks) is a very neat
(simple) very intuitive word-processing/spreadsheet/database product
that I find simple to use and clear in presentation. AppleWorks does
not suffer from bloat.

My significant other was first taught Emacs on a Sun3. Microsoft at
work, Mac (and Linux) at home.

We have seen the light.

Gordo

P.S. StarOffice?