[Gllug] sorts of ports

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Tue Sep 4 15:53:35 UTC 2001

On Tuesday, 4 Sep 2001, Paul Brazier wrote:
>I've just thought of another reason for having port numbers as a layer
>between services/daemons and incoming requests.
>You don't necessarily have a one-one or many-one relationship between
>clients and servers.
>e.g you can use a telnet client to access a http or smtp server.

Eh, that's a bit of a misnomer; most telnet clients also happen to
support a 'raw' connection (because it's an obvious subset of the
functionality of a telnet client), but what you're using to do (eg)
'telnet mailmachine 25' isn't really acting as a telnet client at all.

[Port 23 'telnet' is far from a raw connection to the relevant port.]

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk