[Gllug] New kernel compile probs

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Tue Sep 4 14:58:35 UTC 2001

Hi all,

I wonder if you can help me.  I have compiled anew kernel (2.4.7) and it is
not quite working...  I did:

#make xconfig
(fiddle aroung with configuration)
#make dep
#make clean
#make bzImage
#make modules
#make modules_install

then copy bzImage and System.map to the /boot directory.  I kept the old
kernel file and System.map and can still boot of those.  When I re-boot the
computer I cheeose the new kernal boot option that I created in lilo and it
gets to:

boot:

then the cursor just goes to the next line and blinks there and it does
nothing.  I then have to reset the machine and select the option to boot
with the old kernel (2.2.15-4mdk).  I have tried numerous configurations at
the point when I do make xconfig (I am on compile number 6 or something) but
I have been unable to get it working.  Any suggestions as to what might be
causing this?

Thanks
Will.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk