[Gllug] lilo

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Tue Sep 4 16:59:40 UTC 2001

>>That is true. On my system (Debian) the actual kernel image used is accessed
>>through a link from vmlinuz in / to the /boot directory. Lilo then
>>references the link. Is this because of convention or technical reasons?
>
>On traditional UNIX systems, /vmunix was the kernel image.

On *traditional* Unix, the kernel image was /unix. It wasn't until
this new fangled virtual memory stuff came along that it was renamed
to /vmunix.

Back to the subject of the original message, it's just convention to
use a symbolic link to point to the actual kernel image. In theory,
it means you just need to update the link, and not modify lilo.conf
before rerunning lilo. Of course, it makes sense to modify lilo.conf
anyway to reference both the old and new kernel images to give you a
backout option in case something goes wrong, so the symlink doesn't
actually buy you much...

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk