[Gllug] Multiple Installs

Paul Nasrat pnasrat at uk.now.com
Thu Sep 13 22:36:09 UTC 2001

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 10:25:34PM +0100, James Bailey wrote:
> Hi
>
> I look after several labs of PC at Bournemouth University running Linux,
> currently Redhat v7.1. These labs of PC are used to inform our students that
> there are alternatives to M$ Windows. We give the students root access and
> let them pull dowing network, add users and generally trash the palce :) I
> need an easy way to rebuild labs of identical machines. I have just install
> a lab of 16 identical pc's I used a network boot disk. I noticed install
> over from M$ Windows server is no londer and option so I used the HTTP type
> install.

For RedHat kickstart is what you should be looking at.

There is a howto on linuxdoc.org, a guide to the commands in the RedHat
reference manual (available at RedHat's site) and some external websites
- I don't have the links to hand but there is a kickstart-list archived
  on the redhat mailing list site.

I haven't used the 7.1 kickstart but it seems improved to the 6.2
version which I have used extensively.  you can make a cd, use nfs,
etc.

For debian there is FAI (fully automated installer) but I haven't used
this.

Paul

--
"we apologise for any inconvenience" - God's Last Message to His Creation
Courtesy of Douglas Adams

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk