[Gllug] PSU fans

Stig Brautaset stigbrau at online.no
Sat Sep 8 03:05:29 UTC 2001

* jackson harry <postituk at yahoo.com> spake thus:
> --- Alex Hudson <home at alexhudson.com> wrote:
> >
> > I don't know whether this is just me, but there is something about
> > tinkering with power supplies that just doesn't sit right.. oh yes,
> > that's it, it's because they can kill you :)
>
> The danger from the power supply is not the residing voltage in the
> capacitors but the chance that you may damage it and short to the
> chassis, if no earth was apparent and sitting on highly resistive
> carpet it would create a great big 240v live metal thing that the
> children should avoid. The resident voltage in a tv is because of the
> CRT and the fact that some of the capacitors are charged to 27000
> volts. I have seen someone get a belt from an HT lead connected to
> CRT, it did not kill him but he did not pick his nose with that finger
> for a while, he cleared 8 feet in a bout .25secs.

Yeah. I've got a craft certificate radio and tv-repairment, and I've
been `bitten' a couple of times from high voltage (but only once from
the CRT-range of though).  It hurts, but is not (I think) dangerous if
you're otherwise healthy. It is possible to shortcut the residing
voltage with a cable if you know what you are doing (that better be 6
mm^2 copper cable, mind you!), but otherwise you'd better wait >24 hours
before touching it.

> > Seriously, make sure you turn off that power supply at least a day
> > before you're going to take a soldering iron to it in anger. They're
> > much like TVs.. resident charge. Nasty voltages :(
>
> Anything with anything capacitive will have a resident charge I am
> unsure as to how much a 300W one would have but I do not think that it
> will be overly much.

It will definately be able to bite you pretty hard, but probably not
give you any damage. The components of your computer on the other
hand...

> On a serious note if you are unsure at all do not touch the power
> supply its the one that will kill you and it is also the one that will
> kill every component in your PC you decide which one is more
> important.

I've got nothing to add to this party, except that I agree. If you're
unsure, *don't touch*.

Regards,
Stig

--