[Gllug] Short tutorials?

David Irvine co2cool at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 9 04:46:19 UTC 2001

gllug at codex.net wrote:

>On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, John Hearns wrote:
>
>>By a short tutorial, I mean half an hour at maximum.
>>The format I'm thinking of would be an expert speaker,
>>maybe someone generous enough to provide handouts.
>>And no audience participation, like the traditional GLLUG sessions.
>>These sessions very definitely aimed at the beginner - the more knowlegeable
>>audience being encouraged to stay at the bar.
>>

>sounds like a good idea ( the bar bit ), i remember richards talk, while
>good, it was let down by those in the audience who understood the talk far
>to well, and kept butting in with alternatives.
>
>talks aimed at beginners should not be interupted, to much information to
>soon is not necessarily the best thing.

Something i noted when i was first learning linux was that good talks
for beginners didnt tell you how to do something,  but told you what you
could do with something and  how you found out how other people did that
particular task with at particular tool so you could develop your way of
doing that task with said tool.

:)

David

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk