[Gllug] multimedia player?

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Mon Sep 24 09:25:30 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Subba Rao" <subba9 at home.com>
To: "Greater London Linux Users" <gllug at linux.co.uk>
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2001 12:59 AM
Subject: [Gllug] multimedia player?

> I have been trying to compile "xmovie" from the following site:
>
> http://heroinewarrior.com/quicktime.php3
>
> The compilation is aborting for the "libmpeg3" module.
>
> Is there any media player for Linux (to play avi, mpeg, mov, realtime etc.
> videos)?
>
> I have RealPlayer which works fine, but I don't think it can play the
above
> mentioned files.
>
> Any pointers or info appreciated.

I use mplayer.  It compiled easily with only a couple of easily sorted
dependencies and it works better than any other movie player I have used
(including gtv).

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/news.html

I just pinched the codecs from my winNT machine at work.  I can highly
recommend it.  I know it plays mpegs and avi files but I haven't tried the
other ones in your list.

Will.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk