[Gllug] "We Linux users have been doing all that for 10 years."

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Thu Sep 27 23:07:05 UTC 2001

On Thu 27 Sep, Bruce Richardson made the following spurious claims:

> Hardly.  MS apps are some of the worst offenders on that score.  Office
> 97 is unusable on NT or 2k unless you are a "power user".  Office 2000 is
> a bit better but still ships with a few apps that have this problem.  And
> don't get me started about Access...

Not sure what you really mean here.  I am a power user of Word (tech
author) and still find all versions of MS Word unusable.  Word 2 was
alright, if they had fixed the bugs.

The thing I love about Word 2000 is it comes with a "find and repair
corrupt files" tool.  Instead of fixing the things that cause
corruption (dodgy code that doesn't properly keep track of the
formatting objects) they add more bloat and call it a feature!  Now
that's chutzpah!

My boss had her first majorly corrupted Word doc today, of a manual
she's been working on for months.  One more and I think I'll manage to
convince her to move to Framemaker at last.  <please oh please>

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk